Protecting more than steel
Metalizing or Thermal Sprayed Coatings (TSC) is the process of applying a metallic coating to a substrate to safeguard against corrosion or as a slip-resistant coating. Our environmental process begins with an abrasive surface cleaning followed by a thermal sprayed coating of zinc, aluminum, or zinc-aluminum alloy applied at our facility (or on-site) in virtually any environment. Metalizing does not have size or weight limitations and can easily be applied in the shop or field. It is recognized as an approved repair method for hot-dip galvanizing.
Metalizing provides extends the life of both galvanized and non-galvanized structures with corrosion protection designed to last for decades. Metalizing is typically applied to metal, concrete, wood, and some plastic surfaces. A metalized surface can be painted to enhance appearance.
Commonly used specifications for metalizing include:
- AWS C2.23M/C.23:2003, NACE No. 12, SSPC-CS 23.00, Joint Specification for the Application of Thermal Spray Coatings (Metallizing) of Aluminum, Zinc, and Their Alloys and Composites for the Corrosion Protection of Steel
- AWS C2.16/C2.16M:2002, Guide for Thermal Spray Operator Qualification
- AWS C2.25/C2.25M:2012, Specification for Thermal Spray Feedstock – Wire and Rods
- AWS C2.21M/C2.21, Specification for Thermal Spray Equipment Acceptance Inspection (Supersedes: AWS C2.2, Recommended Practices for Metallizing with Aluminum and Zinc for Protection of Iron)
- ANSI/AWS C2.18-93R, Guide for the Protection of Steel with Thermal Sprayed Coatings of Aluminum and Zinc and their Alloys and Composites
There are a large range of materials that can be used for metalizing. AZZ primarily uses zinc, aluminum, 85/15 zinc/aluminum, ceramic core (anti-skid product with corrosion protection), and iron carbide (a hot-dip galvanize friendly anti-skid product).
AZZ provides metalizing services at our Tulsa, Oklahoma galvanizing facility, as well as operates a mobile metalizing service. With applications ranging from bridges and highways to refrigeration units and industrial stacks, AZZ has established a strong reputation for the highest quality metalizing processes and responsive customer service.